Thursday, September 8, 2005

look out, Dave Mira

"can you take off my training wheels, Dad, and teach me how to ride a 2 wheeler?" Colin asked me when i got home from work.

"Sure, Colin, no problem." found a wrench, whipped off the battered training wheels, and held the bike steady as Colin mounted.

i started pushing, holding the seat, expecting to have to hold it steady while he tried to balance. but his little legs started pumping, and the bike bucked forward under the force of surprisingly vigorous pedalling. seconds later he was out of my grasp, weaving, correcting, leveling out, oh my, riding on his own. running out of room, he began to turn around. and amazingly, kept on turning, and more amazingly straightened out again and headed back toward me. his eyes wide open in wonder and surprise. my mouth open in much the same fashion, too, i'm sure. just when I thought he'd run me over, he put on the brakes, let the bike tip over and hopped off. holy retired training wheels, Batman!

he's had a few wipe outs this evening, but no broken skin and no broken will. what a thrill. more for me than for Colin, i think. took a little video on the digital camera to show Ronni, since she was off at worship team rehearsal...maybe i'll post it if i can find a way to upload it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Colin!!! Fun stuff Jesse!